"Le vrai progrès, c'est une tradition qui se prolonge"
The Fondation Théa aims to promote or assist, in France and abroad, humanitarian or general interest initiatives to aid the fight against blindness and improve eye health.
WHO figures –August 2014
Blindness and visual disorders
• One child becomes blind every minute, one adult every 5 seconds
• In the world there are almost 285 million people with visual disorders: 39 million of them are blind and 246 million suffer from seriously impaired vision
• Nearly 90% of the people with impaired vision live in developing countries
• In the world, refractive errors that are not corrected by glasses are the main cause of visual impairment, cataracts are the first cause of blindness
• In the last 20 years, the number of people suffering from visual disorders caused by infectious diseases has decreased significantly
• 80% of visual disorders can be prevented or cured.