What is bacterial conjunctivitis?
Bacterial conjunctivitis is characterized by purulent secretions in addition to conjunctivitis inflammation signs (hurtless reddening-eye).
Bacterial conjunctivitis is also contagious and requires strict hygiene measures:
- Wash hands before and after you touched your eyes, put antiseptic eye-drops or other wash solution
- Avoid contact with children or eye-sensitive person
How to treat bacterial conjunctivitis?
The doctor may use antiseptic or antibiotic eye-drops which contribute to eliminate the bacteria responsible for the infection.
New-borns might contract some forms of conjunctivitis during labour. This pathology needs a specific care in an adapted environment. Conjunctivitis are common in children but evolves quickly after antiseptic or antibiological treatments.
More information about conjunctivitis :
(1) Milazzo S, Brémond-Gignac D. Une conjonctivite bactérienne de l’enfant. Réflexions oph¬talmologiques 2010 ; 135 (15) : 46-49.
(2) Chaine G. Ophtalmologie. Ed Douin 2000 : 14-80.
(3) Mortemousque B. Les conjonctivites de l’enfant. Rosacée-allergie-infections. Réflexions ophtalmologiques 2013 ; 18 : 20-22.