what is viral conjunctivitis?
Both eyes are often infected by viral conjunctivitis.
The virus spreads easily from an eye to the other. That’s why it is essential to avoid contact with the eyes. Use a different unidose or paper tissue on each eye.
What are the symptoms of viral conjunctivitis?
Symptoms of viral conjunctivitis are various:
- Eyelids can and cannot be glued upon awakening.
- A lymph node can be detected in front of the ear.
What are the causes of viral conjunctivitis?
Several virus are responsible for viral conjunctivitis.
Some of them may cause symptoms of viral nasopharyngitis. Viral conjunctivitis is highly contagious during incubation period (few days before symptoms) and two weeks within. This is why viral conjunctivitis is the most common one. It can be epidemic, especially in schools.
How to treat a viral conjunctivitis?
Treating viral conjunctivitis must combine two hygiene measures:
- Avoid hand contact with the eyes
Also, several times a day, it is useful to abundantly clean eyes with physiologic serum.
More information about conjunctivitis :
(1) Milazzo S, Brémond-Gignac D. Une conjonctivite bactérienne de l’enfant. Réflexions oph¬talmologiques 2010 ; 135 (15) : 46-49.
(2) Chaine G. Ophtalmologie. Ed Douin 2000 : 14-80.
(3) Mortemousque B. Les conjonctivites de l’enfant. Rosacée-allergie-infections. Réflexions ophtalmologiques 2013 ; 18 : 20-22.